[kde-community] Please participate in our survey for input on KDE's Mission

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Thu Jun 16 11:02:48 BST 2016

Dear fellow KDE contributors,
as already hinted at in the article about KDE's Vision [1], the next step in
setting our path into the future is defining KDE's Mission statement. Right
after our Vision was published, a group of people started drafting a Mission
statement and discussing it on the kde-community mailing list.

While we agreed on most aspects of the Mission, it became obvious that on some
key issues, we just had quite different individual opinions. Even if an
individual opinion prevailed in our discussion, we would not know whether that
opinion was shared by the majority of the KDE community. This is a problem,
because especially in a volunteer-driven community where a Mission cannot be
enforced from the top down, it can only have a practical effect if the majority
of those doing the work agree with it. However it became obvious that not that
many KDE contributors both had the time and were comfortable with contributing
to the discussion on the mailing list.

Therefore, in order to still be able to find out what the majority of the
community considers the right approach towards our Vision, we set up an online
survey, hoping that this would make it easier for people to voice their opinion
in an easy, anonymous way. Since we always focus on our users, we are also
interested in the opinion of interested users, so we opened up the survey for
everyone.

So, please Participate in our survey:

http://survey.kde.org/index.php/858172/lang-en

It should not take more than 5-10 minutes and providing your input on what KDE
should do will help us move towards our Vision!

Thank you,
Thomas and the KDE Mission team

[1] https://dot.kde.org/2016/04/05/kde-presents-its-vision-future