[kde-community] Does KDE attempt to attract experienced contributors?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:13:52 BST 2016

Eike Hein wrote:

> - It's really neat to go to sleep at night knowing what I do all day
>    doesn't screw anybody over.
>
> - It's even neater to go to sleep at night knowing what I make can't
>    be easily erased/hidden from existence, and is trivially discoverable
>    as my calling card.
>
> - Very few among the total population of software engineers get to
>    work on the types of products I work on, or with the level of input
>    I get into fashioning those products.
>
> - What I make enables others and generally gives them more options.
>
> - I'm very fond of the people I work with.

To keep on the topic of the thread - are you saying that these are the
things you focus on that would attract experienced contributors (as opposed
to students - your list looks like it applies independently of experience
mostly)?

I'm more interested in 'what are the things that experienced people look
for, which students do not?', and 'do we have those things?' and 'can we
make noise about them to attract experienced people?'. Do you have a
response to that?

Thanks,

Steve.