[kde-community] Telegram Relay Service

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Sat May 7 11:26:25 BST 2016

Hi all,

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Luca Beltrame <lbeltrame at kde.org> wrote:
> Il giorno Fri, 6 May 2016 10:18:57 -0300
> Nicolás Alvarez
> <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
>> matter how bad the encryption is, it's more secure than IRC. Plus, KDE
>> people are using Telegram whether it's bridged to IRC or not.
>
> It's fine (who am I to demand what people want to use?), as long as it
> doesn't become a "required" medium.

I agree with Luca here, it would be nice if the KDE projects who use
only Telegram and thus make it mandatory to be able to work with them,
to consider an IRC relay bot, because they are excluding all those who
don't want to (or can't) use Telegram.
I might be too old, but for me a phone is not a suitable media for
developer communications, it is difficult to use for my 57-year old
fingers and makes communication cumbersome. Also, Telegram is
intrusive, as the web client only works if you have it running on your
phone as well, which eats up battery life to no end, it's impossible
to mute globally, only per channel and only on the phone, not via the
web client (guess how much I love my phone to ring at 5 am just
because there is yet another message sent via Telegram). Not even
starting to talk about the crappy usability ... and the breach of
privacy because you have to share your private phone number with
people you don't know in RL, that for me is the point where it hits
the wall.
After spending 10+ hours at my desk at the computer, I really don't
want to also have to use my phone just because some people think
everybody should use Telegram. We have well established means of
communication through IRC and mailing lists. I do understand the will
to reach out to people who apparently spend their live on the phone,
but at some point even they will have to use a computer, because AFAIK
most KDE projects are still about software development, and that can't
really be done on a phone only. (Of course, I wouldn't be astonished
if you could, but really, folks, use a 6- 8" screen with a tiny
keyboard, outrageous connection prices in most parts of the world and
crappy battery life as a main way of software development? Are you
serious?)

Regards, Myriam

PS. That by the way can be extended to all other phone based chats,
they are pretty much exchangeable, some have better web clients, some
outright suck in that regard, the point is the same: please don't make
a phone client chat a required way of communication for any KDE
project.
http://www.fsfe.org