[kde-community] KDE Mission - let's do this!

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed May 4 22:23:30 BST 2016

On Saturday, April 30, 2016 23:22:40 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> So, I'd say let's concentrate on what we are really doing, and strive for
> world domination ("everyone" as the vision says) in these areas (yes, I do
> consider this realistically achievable), and leave the other fields to
> others. We should simply try to serve our users best, offer top support for
> what they are working with, be it file formats, online services, etc.

E.g. I think this https://micreabog.wordpress.com/2016/05/01/akonadi-resource-for-microsoft-exchange-web-services-ews/ is a great effort ! :-)
Not that I think everybody should use a Exchange server, but as long as kdepim
does not support that mostly feature-complete and reliably, in many settings
kdepim is simply out of the game.

A recent news item said that Windows now dropped below 90 % :
http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/01/windows-7-drops-under-50-market-share-xp-falls-below-10/
...but desktop Linux has a whopping 1.5% (according to them).
So, IMO, if we want our software to become more relevant, trying to push users
to full FLOSS systems (from OS over apps over online services) is maybe not
the best way.

Alex