[kde-community] KDE Mission - let's do this!

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Apr 28 22:07:45 BST 2016

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 22:32:21 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 28. April 2016 18:23:51 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
> > Is offering integration of proprietary services needed to be
> > mentioned? It's a strategy we might adopt (to reach out) but it's not
> > our mission. The mission is to have the "good services" adopted (by a
> > definition of good services). Or not. Up for discussion.
>
> For me that's an important part of reaching users where they are. From my
> perspective, the strategy should be "Allow them to use the proprietary
> service they're used to, but show them how much better they'd be off if
> they used our product with the free alternative."
>
> For example, Kontact and Kube _should_ work with e.g. Google services, but
> show their full potential when used with Free groupwares such as Kolab.
> Or I would want Dolphin to work with Google Drive, but I want it to work
> best with e.g. ownCloud.

I disagree with this.
For online services, which are usually about working together with other
people, a user often doesn't have a choice. He simply must use the online
service his colleagues or friends etc. are using.
IMO KDEs mission is to provide applications which offer a great user
experience with the online services the user uses. If they are free ones, even
better.
But IMO KDEs mission is not to make users switch to other online services,
that's probably the mission e.g. of diaspora. If we want to give free software
(freedom, control, privacy) to as many people as possible, top priority should
be the online services most people use.

Alex