[kde-community] [Kde-pim] A new home for Mozilla Thunderbird at KDE?

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzer at kde.org
Wed Apr 27 12:35:41 BST 2016

Hi,

I share Eike's concerns about the extra workload for our sysadmins and I
think they should definitely have a word in this.
While a welcoming atmosphere is a great goal and should be strived for
in general, technical issues should be handled as such.
So I guess we need to ask concrete questions like:
- what do the Thunderbird developers expect from their future host and
can we deliver that?
- what are the costs in terms of manpower on our side?
- are our sysadmins willing to let a bunch of contractors paid by
Mozilla run through our infrastructure and tell them what to do and how?
- do the possible changes increase daily maintenance workload after the
contractors left?
- how much of our infrastructure can Thunderbird actually benefit from?
  ... or rather, are they willing to benefit from it at all? I have
Translations in mind. Will they switch to our way of doing things or
will they be an encapsulated project within KDE?

In short: this should not solely be a community decision but a technical
one as well.

Regards,
Frederik