[kde-community] A new home for Mozilla Thunderbird at KDE?

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Tue Apr 26 18:08:31 BST 2016

On 04/27/2016 01:58 AM, Teo Mrnjavac wrote:
> This, so much. I see no reason not to expand our presence in different
> segments of the e-mail clients market, if Thunderbird wishes to join us. The
> more, the merrier.

I'm not sure they're a good fit for us, unless they bring significant
manpower/funding with them or continue to enjoy Mozilla backing in some
form. Thunderbird is used to being developed within an extensive eco-
system of Mozilla infrastructure (including their customized or home-
grown bug tracking, CI, test, etc. sites/systems); porting it either
to our infra or setting up infra for them would probably be a
significant task we don't have the resources for.

There's also the problem that Thunderbird is a massive codebase with
few people working on it, and built on technology that's predictably
legacy (Gecko will ultimately die in favor of Servo; also nobody at
Mozilla seems to like XPCOM or god forbid XUL for years now). These
pose significant hurdles to the Thunderbird project I'm not convinced
it can scale, even with our help.

Incubator, yes. Project cemetary, no. I think cost/benefit and outlook
say 'no' here.

> Cheers,

Cheers,
Eike