[kde-community] user stats for Neon

Loïc Grobol loic.grobol at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 08:03:32 BST 2016

Wether or not it would actually be harmful for user privacy, and whatever
the implementation, it would be better for PR/brand image of this was
strictly opt-in. We can take a cue from vlc and Mozilla telemetry fit how.

Essentially, the time benefit of not having to ask permission is, I feel,
far outmatch
  - the risk of backslash if any mistaken/mischievous individual calls us
on it (especially so short a time after the windows 10 data harvesting
scandals, and even if this is orders of magnitude less intrusive)
  - the opportunity that making it opt-in gives is to reaffirm that, yes,
we care about user privacy.