[kde-community] user stats for Neon

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Thu Apr 14 16:30:18 BST 2016

On Donnerstag, 14. April 2016 14:36:21 CEST Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 04:18:30PM +0200, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Any potentially privacy-sensitive information transfer should be opt-in,
> > not opt-out.
> > I'd assume that the vast majority of users will allow it (given that it's
> > not personally identifiable and they trust their distro), but opt-in puts
> > you on the safe side.
>
> What's privacy sensitive about it?  It's a machine ID but not linked
> to any other information other than IP address and there's no personal
> information we can link it to.

It's still a unique identifier which can be used to track the machine. We might
then combine it with others who also only collect the machine ID to create a
profile.
People can be very sensitive about these topics, especially since we've made
privacy-aware users our main target audience.

As I said: the vast majority would give us their consent anyway, but it just
comes across as "nicer" if we ask.

Martin's suggestion with "Make it explicit on the download page that we
collect these data, and allow users to switch it off in privacy settings if
they don't like us to do it" works as well, but then users would need to have
a chance to turn it off /before/ the ID is sent the first time.