[kde-community] KDE Mission - let's do this!

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Apr 13 20:44:10 BST 2016

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 01:13:32 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 31. März 2016 23:12:15 CEST Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > I'd suggest that we let the brainstorming phase last until Friday and
> > > then
> > > start discussing the ideas collected on that Wiki page.
> >
> > two days is quite short (I just saw it right now).
> > Let's have a week at least, i.e. April 10th ?
>
> Okay everybody, we've had a little more than a week for collecting
> brainstorming ideas for the mission now on
> https://community.kde.org/KDE/Mission/Brainstorming
> Unfortunately, only six people have put their ideas on the wiki, but what we
> have there should give us a good start for a discussion, anyway.
>
> From what I see on the wiki, there are three questions we should try to
> answer first:
>
> 1. Should the mission focus mostly on our organizational/community strategy,
> our product strategy, or both?

I think our Manifesto already says a lot about the community, and I still
think the people asking for a direction/strategy in the survey, want that for
the products KDE creates.

In case we want to focus on the products, and if we want to make our products
more relevant, should we try to find reasons why they are currently not as
relevant as they could be ?

> 2. Our vision is to have an impact on everybody's lives. Should we keep our
> mission equally broad, or should our mission focus on (a) certain target
> audience(s) as a "door-opener" to reach everybody, and if so, which target
> audience(s) should we focus on?

IMO we should at least be clear who we are targeting, we should spell it out.

> 3. What can our unique contribution to our vision (which is certainly shared
> by others as well) be?
>
> There are the things which who put their ideas on the wiki already seem to
> agree on:
> - A well-integrated suite of desktop+applications+frameworks
> - Cross-platform, cross-device/convergent
> - Providing privacy combined with a great user experience
> - Supporting proprietary services as a "necessary evil", but not as the
> final goal

I guess we can count "run on proprietary OS's" under this last point too ?

Alex