[kde-community] KDE Mission - let's do this!

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Apr 12 00:13:32 BST 2016

On Donnerstag, 31. März 2016 23:12:15 CEST Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > I'd suggest that we let the brainstorming phase last until Friday and then
> > start discussing the ideas collected on that Wiki page.
>
> two days is quite short (I just saw it right now).
> Let's have a week at least, i.e. April 10th ?

Okay everybody, we've had a little more than a week for collecting
brainstorming ideas for the mission now on
https://community.kde.org/KDE/Mission/Brainstorming
Unfortunately, only six people have put their ideas on the wiki, but what we
have there should give us a good start for a discussion, anyway.

From what I see on the wiki, there are three questions we should try to answer
first:

1. Should the mission focus mostly on our organizational/community strategy,
our product strategy, or both?

2. Our vision is to have an impact on everybody's lives. Should we keep our
mission equally broad, or should our mission focus on (a) certain target
audience(s) as a "door-opener" to reach everybody, and if so, which target
audience(s) should we focus on?

3. What can our unique contribution to our vision (which is certainly shared
by others as well) be?

There are the things which who put their ideas on the wiki already seem to
agree on:
- A well-integrated suite of desktop+applications+frameworks
- Cross-platform, cross-device/convergent
- Providing privacy combined with a great user experience
- Supporting proprietary services as a "necessary evil", but not as the final
goal

Now I hope that more than the six of us who put ideas on the wiki will join
this discussion, so that we end up with a mission that all of KDE can identify
with.

Looking forward to a fruitful, cooperative discussion,
Thomas