[kde-community] Looking for new doors to open for KDE

Agustin Benito (toscalix) abenito at kde.org
Mon Apr 11 22:39:57 BST 2016

Hi all,

I was unsure if this is the the right list for this since I a not
subscribed to plasma ML.. If not, apologies.

The last few months I have been working on a project that could be an
interesting experiment for KDE. It is called GDP[1] (GENIVI Demo
Platform).

GENIVI Alliance[2] is a group of 140 companies that design, spec and
develop Open Source middleware for automotive. GDP is GENIVI's
integration and delivery effort to ease the adoption, test and
development of those Open Source middleware components, specially
IVI[3] ones. To build the platform, Yocto project is being used. We
are currently working on porting GDP-ivi9 to QEMU, Renesas Porter and
RPi2 boards.

Why this project might be of interest for KDE?

In the coming days the GDP delivery team will release GDP-ivi9, which
includes Qt 5.3.2. In May we will start working in the new version,
which will hopefully bring a newer Qt version..The coming weeks we
will be collecting requests and discuss them, so this could be the
perfect time to evaluate Plasma on GDP..

GDP is being used by many companies as a platform to demo applications
and other software components for the automotive sector, specially in
R&D environments .

Automotive is a sector that is currently moving from consuming Open
Source to producing it. This initiative would provide KDE a potential
new market for applications and it would reinforce KDE project in the
embedded world, beyond mobile, increasing Qt ecosystem interest in our
community.

What do we need?

My team is in charge of the integration and delivery of GDP. We can
work with KDE contributors to bring Plasma 5 into GDP. But first KDE
experts needs to evaluate if it is feasible and make sense.

How to get GDP?

Check the Download page[4] for the GDP-ivi9 RC1 for QEMU. If you know
about YOCTO, you can build GDP from scratch. The new version will be
available next week with easier to consume images.

I would love to find a way to promote KDE in a new industry:
automotive. Drop me an e-mail or answer here if you think you can help
to evaluate this possibility.

[1] https://at.projects.genivi.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=11567210
[2] http://www.genivi.org/
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_car_entertainment