[kde-community] Our new project metadata system

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Fri Apr 1 13:28:11 BST 2016

On Freitag, 1. April 2016 21:54:10 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:

> Out of curiosity, how are the Appstream files accessed by tools such
> as the various app centers?
> I presume some kind of repository exists?

Nope, actually distributions extract the appstream data from the source code
of each application and generate their own AppStream database.

> If so, it may be worth pulling the information you need Boudhayan from
> such a repository ( although the indexing process will undoubtedly
> require either source code checkouts or compiled code, in which case
> we'll probably have to use what the CI system has and pick a branch
> group to represent - probably stable-kf5-qt5. More details on this
> would be nice )

We could theoretically just tap into a distribution's AppStream database if
that makes our lives easier, or just reuse their code to extract the data and
create the database.