[kde-community] Our new project metadata system

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Thu Mar 31 19:11:04 BST 2016

On Donnerstag, 31. März 2016 13:43:55 CEST Luigi Toscano wrote:

> AppStream metadata are already decentralized, and you don't want a sysadmin
> ticket for each change to one of them. Let's have them in the hands of each
> project manager. So I strongly disagree with moving from the current status.
> > We're not duplicating anything. We're trying to trim down the number
> > of places where you can find metadata to *one* location, and then
> > generating everything else from there.
>
> So you consume the existing AppStream metadata from each project repository.
> As I said, they are well handled and translated. No need to import them in
> the centralized store.

I agree with Luigi: Allowing maintainers to update their metadata in their own
repositories and then generating the central database from this is likely the
best way.
For many maintainers, filling in metadata feels probably more like a burden
than fun, so we have to at least make this as easy for them as possible.

We also need people to update their AppStream data with release notes for
every release, so we can use them in Discover as well as on the websites. This
is definitely not something we want every project to file a sysadmin ticket for
every release for.