[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - final version

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Mar 15 15:19:00 GMT 2016

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 08:26:15 AM Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> > "A world in which everyone enjoys freedom and privacy and has control
> > over their digital life."
> >
> > Unless there are major objections within the next week I would like to
> > conclude the process and from now on use this as our vision statement.
>
> Not a major objection, but some feedback: It's very wordy at the end
> especially with all the 'and's in it.
>
> For me that's loss of impact.
>
> I much preferred what Jos arrived at:
>
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.community/2455/focus=2523
>
> I didn't see what took it back in that wordy direction after that part of
> the discussion.

We discussed it last week, and found that the shorter version proposed by Jos
is leaving too much in the middle. While "control over digital life" captures
very much the idea, we want it to be concrete as well and reference the core
values freedom and privacy. I think it's still short enough.

We joked that if we cut out too much, we're reducing it to more or less "good
stuff", while I can certainly agree with that, it's lacking a concrete
direction.

Hence, we went back to the slightly wordier version, which includes freedom
and privacy.

Note that we can still use just one of these concepts in slogans, think for
example about the "digital freedom" t-shirts we had for some time.

sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org