[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - second draft for discussion

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Feb 29 20:46:58 GMT 2016

On Monday, February 29, 2016 15:58:48 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Montag, 22. Februar 2016 23:05:49 CET Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Monday, February 15, 2016 18:36:18 Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > A bit less than two weeks ago we sent the first draft for the
> > > community vision for KDE. We have gotten a lot of useful feedback and
> > > have now put this into a second draft. It reads as follows:
> > > "KDE creates technology for a world in which everyone has freedom,
> > > privacy and control over their digital life."
> > > If there is anything that you disagree with about that vision, please
> > > speak up. Otherwise, expressing your agreement is helpful as well!
> > >
> > > There seems to be significant agreement on the principles encoded in
> > > this vision. Therefore I'd like us to give this a final polish now and
> > > if needed go for a third draft (which then should be the last one to
> > > not stall this forever). This is a draft for a vision for what kind of
> > > world the community aims for, it's not a product vision. As there
> > > still seems to be disagreement on the product vision, Thomas will
> > > address that in a separate email.
> >
> > there's no strong disagreement with your proposal among the supporters of
> > the "focused" draft, given that it'll be accompanied by a product
> > vision/mission.
>
> I'm happy that we've come to a point where it shows that we all have the
> same goal in mind in the end.
>
> We also all agree that a vision without a mission provides motivation, but
> hardly any guidance, and therefore formulating a mission is absolutely
> necessary.
>
> > So, can we try to get that done in one go ?
>
> This is where I see a problem. The whole vision definition process has
> dragged on for quite a while now, which was necessary to get everyone on
> board, but also exhausting.
>
> Defining a mission will take quite a while as well, and if we wait with
> publishing a vision until the mission step is completed, it could be
> frustrating for many who have participated in the vision process and just
> want to see something come out of it already.

well, we could give it a try at least. :-)
So, agree to a preliminary vision statement, write that down on some wiki
page, and then start working on the mission. Or we may actually start right
now ? I have the impression that only some tweaking is left to do to the
preliminary vision.

And then let's see e.g. end of April (or May) how we are progessing ?

Alex