[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - second draft for discussion

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Feb 28 21:26:43 GMT 2016

On Sunday, February 28, 2016 09:54:18 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> >> I don't know if you read my mail, but I'd encourage you to do so.
> >
> > TBH, it's so long I got lost.
>
> Then I don't know why you are writing in this thread.

Exactly because of that, so I understand better what you mean.
E.g. points 1, 8, 9, 10 are subjective opinions. If you think so, Ok. I'm
actually undecided whether I agree with them or not.

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 22:46:56 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> 5) It has a recognizable, idealistic, completely unachievable goal
>
> Something along the lines of
>
>  * control - over digitally 'social' presence, absence etc
>  * control - over availability of digital services
>  * privacy - choosing what to share, knowingly
>  * freedom - to be forgotten
>  * freedom - to have, share, learn, modify, teach
>
> Though I'm not sure 'freedom' should be in the vision - I think that's the
> means/prerequisite to achieve personal control and choice of privacy.
> Having freedom in the vision makes it overlap with the 4 freedoms.

I guess my comments refer to that.
I'm not sure about that list of 5 items. Are they all candidates for <foo> in
your vision "template" ?

I think I disagree that freedom (I guess as in Free Software) is really a hard
requirement to achieve personal control. There can be proprietary software
which gives the user full control.

Alex