[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - second draft for discussion

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Feb 24 20:17:19 GMT 2016

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 22:59:35 Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 07:37:07 PM Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > "KDE creates technology for a world in which everyone has freedom,
> > privacy and control over their digital life."
> >
> > isn't a conflation of vision and mission. I wondered whether the actual
> > vision isn't just the second part, i.e. "a world in which everyone has
> > freedom, privacy and control over their digital life", and whether "KDE
> > creates technology to enable everyone resp. the users of our technology
> > to enjoy or experience this freedom, etc." isn't already part of our
> > mission. Just wondering (and maybe repeating myself :-)).
>
> So:
>
> "KDE envisions a world in which everyone has freedom, privacy and control
> over their digital life."

This one completely avoids stating whether KDE does technology, software, GUI,
or whatever, so no conflict there.
Maybe "envisions" is a bit passive ? E.g. something like "works for" or
"fights for" ?

still my favourite KDE T-shirt is "KDE - digital freedom".
But that's now probably really too short. ;-)

Alex