[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - an alternative draft for discussion

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Feb 16 22:30:38 GMT 2016

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 08:01:01 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Monday, February 15, 2016 10:22:20 PM CET Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Monday, February 15, 2016 15:11:47 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe you could start thinking about that. What does it mean if THE GUI
> > > maintainer doesn't want that? Maybe he has a better look on it with THE
> > > GUI
> > > knowledge?
> > >
> > > Please don't completely dismiss my feedback. Think about it.
> >
> > Yes, but I have really a hard time understanding it. I'm actually assuming
> > there must be some misunderstanding, different bias or interpretation...
> >
> > If the future interfaces won't be graphical, what other options do you see
> > ?
> I'm not a prophet, I have no clue what will be after graphical interfaces.

Hopefully not direct brain interfaces ;-)

> But some things we already see today emerging: speech for starters. Another
> example are all this Virtual Reality stuff which is not graphical in the
> sense of a GUI. Our phones notifies through vibration. We have smart
> watches interacting through sensors with the body. All without a GUI.

Thanks.

I think then we indeed have just different interpretations.

Sensors and speech input are to me "just" input devices, like keyboard, mouse,
touchpad/screen, trackpoint, joystick, etc. Using them is IMO fully included
in the term "GUI".

For the output: VR - I agree that "GUI" is typically not used for this. Still,
"graphical (user) interfaces", can be interpreted to include it.
Speech output - it sure is (very) useful, but I am sure some graphical
presentation will stay, and I think the vision should just emphasize the main
points (I still think speech output won't become the main user interface for
software in general).
Vibration alarm - I'd count that under additional peripheral.

So, the intention of "graphical user interfaces and applications" is:
- we do applications
- we do "user interfaces", i.e. desktop for normal computers and also e.g.
Plasma Mobile. Do you have a better term ?
- "graphical" is there to point out that they typically have a graphical
interface, they draw stuff somewhere
- point out that our *main* goal is not CLI
(- and of course everything supporting it/related to it)

Alex