[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - an alternative draft for discussion

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Tue Feb 16 09:12:06 GMT 2016

On Montag, 15. Februar 2016 21:25:52 CET Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hallo Ingo,

Morning Alex and Co

> On Monday, February 15, 2016 14:31:09 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Hi Ingo,
>
> > On Saturday, February 13, 2016 21:35:22 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
>
> > > I think your concern is that the vision does not function as
> > > differentiation from other free software communities. That's correct,
> > > but setting KDE apart from other free software communities is not the
> > > purpose of the vision. What differentiates us from other free software
> > > communities is not our goal, but the way we want to reach (resp.
> > > approach) this goal. And this way should be spelled out in the mission.
> >
> > Ok.
> > I doubt anybody wants to fight about the definition, whether its the
> > vision, or the mission, or the product vision, or vision+mission
> > combined.
> >
> > What our group wants to have, is getting some more attention back to the
> > products created by the KDE community.
>
> IOW: it seems to me that our alternate vision draft is more a vision+mission
> ?
>
> If so, I guess the introdcution statement is what is usually called "vision"
> ?
>
> "KDE is a community of free software enthusiasts that strives to provide
> graphical user interfaces and applications for end-users for all types of
> computers across the device spectrum: desktops PCs, laptops, tablet,
> smartphones, etc.
> We believe that software should be free and respectful of the privacy of our
> users. Our values are stated in the KDE Manifesto."

As I see it the "graphical user interfaces and applications" (which is an
enumeration of different paradigms/things anyway ;-) could/should be
substituted with "software" and there would be an agreement more or less
between the two groups.

Thus we'd have a common vision and could work on the mission(s).

> After all the discussions, I guess the manifesto doesn't really have to be
> mentioned there, since this is a separate issue ?

+1

> Alex

Thanks
Mario