[kde-community] Fwd: KDE Vision – towards “wholesame” solutions

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Feb 16 07:23:24 GMT 2016

On Monday, February 15, 2016 1:49:44 PM CET Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 2:50 AM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org>
wrote:
> >> Maybe GUI -> UI would solve that. Or "primary focus is the UI".
> >
> > Would be much better. It at least doesn't exclude things like speech
> > recognition.
>
> +1 to the UI
>
> > Using a simple example: today I created a GSoC project idea which is a
> > docker container for KWin to be useable as a Plasma mobile emulator and
> > also cloud. Is that UI? I don't know. It would render somwhere, but is
> > that enough to consider it as a UI? Or is in that case KWin just a piece
> > of server software without any UI (e.g. access through VNC/rdesktop/html5
> > with no direct interaction in KWin)?
>
> It's rather simple. All these pieces (and also the Akonadi example
> that Ingo brought) are the foundation/infrastructure to the "thing"
> that the end user will see on their device and interact with.

But where is then the guidance for the developers? Will they start thinking
"hey KDE is about GUI, my application doesn't fit anymore?". What about
projects wanting to join us? Will they think they fit? Will we let them in? No
we wouldn't, because that's not what we are doing, it's not fitting our vision.
But a product evolved from within KDE would be allowed to do it, because it's
the "foundation". I find this thought of a two class world terrible, terrible,
terrible. That's what you in if you put up words into a vision which don't fit
the reality. We don't do cloud, but we do. Contradictions, first class and
second class project. I don't want that and I'm sure that you don't want that
either.

Cheers
Martin