[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - first draft for discussion

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Feb 13 14:35:01 GMT 2016

On Friday, February 12, 2016 11:45:53 AM CET Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Riccardo Iaconelli <riccardo at kde.org>
wrote:
> > I honestly still find it strange that in this discussion we insist on
> > drawing a circle defining "what is/can be KDE" (which, once more, is not
> > what the vision would be supposed to mean) way smaller than what KDE
> > already is.
>
> If KDE were doing great as is, we wouldn't have had this discussion
> today. I feel KDE lacks direction. But a broad vision proposal seems
> to just document the fact that KDE lacks direction and brings no
> value.

I can turn that 180 degree around and argue that we are currently too narrow
minded to get new people in and are not doing great. Hey look all the awesome
work with Plasma 5 and Wayland. We are doing desktop, desktop, desktop. Have a
new mobile shell. And where are the devs? Where are the people following in
that pretty clear direction?

So apparently having the direction seems not to work. People don't follow. So
maybe we are too narrow? Lose the people who are actually out there and do hip
stuff?

Cheers
Martin