[kde-community] Vision, mission and manifesto - what is their definition and purpose?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Feb 12 20:15:39 GMT 2016

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:17:03 Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > When I joined the "vision team", my original proposal was to only define
> > > mission, because I felt that visions make more sense for products than
> > > for
> > > communities.
> > > However, Lydia convinced me that having a common vision for the future
> > > work towards can have more positive effect on a sense of purpose and
> > > motivation than only defining a strategy, so I agreed to define a vision
> > > first and then derive the mission from that.
> >
> > That's just Lydias opinion.
>
> No need for this, not even if you think it's funny. For the record, it's
> *not* just Lydia's opinion, so don't try to give that impression.

sorry, I didn't choose good words to express what I wanted to say.

> > No, seriously, in the last weeks several people contacted me in private
> > email  and expressed that they are not exactly happy, some even seriously
> > frustrated with the strong emphasis on non-technical topics in KDE in the
> > last few years, and they would prefer to get some more emphasis on
> > technology and products back.
>
> You know, same here: People express concerns about people who want to steer
> KDE into a self-fullfilling, narrow-minded playground project.

are you saying that the people who would prefer some more technical direction
are wrong, they want the wrong thing, what you call "self-fulfilling, narrow-
minded playground project" ?
Can we please assume that everybody who is in KDE wants it succeed, and
consider their opinions seriously ?
I'm sure nobody here wants to harm KDE.

> You know what I tell them: Please take part in the open discussions about
> that -- that is why we're having these discussions.
>
> In a do-ocracy such as KDE, you take part and are able to influence
> direction, or you stand at the sidelines and watch, but you don't stand at
> the sidelines and watch and dictate through backdoor politics.

This is what I actually wanted to point out.
The decision, that we need a "community vision", and not a "product vision"
was made by the inclusive-draft team, consisting at that time of 5 people in
private discussion, and then presented as only choice to the community.
I want to offer the community an alternative, so the community can actually
decide, and not just approve the only option.

Alex