[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - first draft for discussion

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Feb 12 07:04:10 GMT 2016

On Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:06:33 PM CET Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:06:57 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> >
> > I don't know what exactly you mean with "being covered by" or "see as part
> > of the vision", but let's assume "projects that identify with the goals
> > described in our vision.

> > > Let's get a bit more concrete.
> > > So I guess most GNU projects would fit ? Bash, gcc, emacs ?
> >
> > GCC and Emacs (I couldn't find info about bash) require copyright
> > assigment
> > through a mandatory contributor license agreements *1. That would be
> > against KDE's manifesto. It makes sense to work together, but we disagree
> > about the how to do it.
>
> so do I understand correctly that in general you would consider projects
> like a shell, a compiler and a text-mode editor as potential KDE projects ?
>
> What's your opinion on one of the original goals of KDE to provide a set of
> software with a consistent look & feel and usability, stuff like common
> printing dialogs, file dialog, help systems, dialog layouts, etc, etc. ?
>
> > > What about non-software projects like Project Gutenberg (free books),
> > > Jamendo  (free indie music), SubSurfWiki.org (free knowledge) ?
> > > Paraview (empowering students and scientists) ?
> >
> > The draft states clear that we do Free software.
>
> There's also a thin line here.
> Most web sites require some programming. Some more, some less. E.g. a
> knowledge site could have some special code for presenting/visualizing data,
> a music site could have custom solutions for streaming, etc.
> Where do you draw the line ?

Why should there be a line? So turning it around: if I start a cloud service
within KDE to have KWin run in the cloud so that everyone can connect to it
through a web browser, would that now start excluding KWin from KDE? If that
then gets used to run Amarok in the cloud to stream music would that exclude
Amarok from KDE?

Certainly not. And that's the problem I have with your approach. It's a two
class world: everything which originates inside KDE is fine, but if it would
come into KDE it's "No, no, that's not what we do!"

So instead of asking yourself what might join, please start to think where KDE
might be going with their existing projects and derive your "line" from there.

Cheers
Martin