[kde-community] Should we allow non-KDE projects to participate in GSoC under KDE?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Feb 10 17:28:43 GMT 2016

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Vishesh Handa wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2016 11:51, "Jonathan Riddell" <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> >
> > I also heard a suggestion from Vishesh that projects like Amarok
> > shouldn't be allowed in GSoC because they are not very active.  It
> > seems nonsense to block projects from having activity on grounds that
> > they are not very active.
>
> I stand by this.
>
> If a project has no developers who actively contribute to it, putting students on it with the hope that they
> will take care of it, is too optimistic.

I don't want to argue for or against concrete examples, but I do agree that it's not fair to the students to tease them witha project that might sound cool, but hasn't got mentors available. And if there aren't developers, how can there be mentors?

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org