[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - first draft for discussion

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Tue Feb 9 20:24:43 GMT 2016

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Torsten Rahn <tackat at t-online.de> wrote:

>> TikiWiki or Drupal or whatever then the vision ("Imagine a world in
>> which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all
>> knowledge. That's our commitment.") would stay untouched because
>
> Oh, so you guys have the duty to store the internet?
>
> SCNR ;-)

Actually! More than the internet if you take it to the extreme. Think
of all the knowledge in indigenous tribes for example.
http://www.slideshare.net/frimelle/increasing-access-to-free-and-open-knowledge-for-speakers-of-underserved-languages-on-wikipedia
has some interesting numbers on unequal access to knowledge on the
internet. (The author is my student.)
But more seriously: Wikimedia's vision doesn't say that all the
knowledge has to be with Wikimedia - just that it must be universally
and freely accessible.

Cheers
Lydia

KDE e.V. Board of Directors / KDE Community Working Group
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org