[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - first draft for discussion

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Tue Feb 9 19:37:29 GMT 2016

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Alexander Dymo <alex at alexdymo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
>> The technology is something that does not belong into the vision.
>
> Why? It would be strange for the tech organization/community like KDE,
> IMHO of course.

You cut off the part of my email with the reasoning: "It can go into
the mission statement because it is a part of how we get to where we
want to go. It is not the place we want to go." Or in other words it
is too specific for a vision. Example: If Wikimedia decides that
MediaWiki is crap tomorrow and that everything should be switched to
TikiWiki or Drupal or whatever then the vision ("Imagine a world in
which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all
knowledge. That's our commitment.") would stay untouched because
MediaWiki is irrelevant to the vision - heck even Wikipedia is
irrelevant to it. If tomorrow they find out that their vision is
better achieved with writing messages into the sky with planes then
they should probably consider that.

Cheer
Lydia

KDE e.V. Board of Directors / KDE Community Working Group
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org