[kde-community] Differences between proposed vision drafts (or "inclusive" vs "focused")

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Feb 8 20:42:58 GMT 2016

On Monday, February 08, 2016 10:56:01 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Thursday, February 04, 2016 08:49:55 PM Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Still we don't see linear algebra libraries or build tools as the main
> > goal
> > KDE is trying to achieve (...says the guy who maintained the KDE
> > buildsystem for more than 7 years).
>
> Next counter-example: The Eigen library, a linear algebra library which was
> initially developed under KDE. It has moved out at some point -- I don't
> know the reasons. In KDE software, it's used in Krita, Step and Kalzium and
> a few smaller bits, as far as I could find out. Point in case: this other
> random example is flawed.
>
> I understand that you're saying it doesn't have a place in KDE.

Sebas, you may have missed that I explicitely mentioned eigen in the mail you
replied to ?

I don't understand what's so hard about this: we can say "we consider A, B and
C to be our core efforts.". That does not mean that everything which is
outside that "core" must be kept out of KDE. Of course it means that software
or efforts that support A, B or C, are very welcome. OTOH projects which don't
support the core do not need to be part of KDE, they can as well use github or
something else.

I think this can only be avoided by not having some technical direction at
all.

Alex