[kde-community] Should we allow non-KDE projects to participate in GSoC under KDE?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Feb 5 16:14:50 GMT 2016

On Wednesday 03 February 2016 14:58:54 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> So I'd like to have this cleared - does the community agree to
> have non-KDE projects, those that do not follow the Manifesto,
> participate in our GSoC this year and in the following years?
>
> Imho this goes against the Manifesto as the projects gets to
> "enjoy the benefits" without the complying with "commitments"
> of the Manifesto. It's also less transparent overall (not able to
> monitor progress as it's not on KDE infrastructure), can lead
> to cheating and possibly kicking KDE out of GSoC in the worst
> possible outcome.
>
> On the other hand, every accepted project gets the mentoring
> organization some extra money, which is always handy.

I'm sorry, but I completely lack the necessary information to give my opinion
in this matter. From the thread I gather that there have been issues in the
past with at least one non-KDE project. But without a list of the pros and
cons and a short summary of the past experience with allowing non-KDE projects
how am I supposed to decide?

I'm dubious about taking the Manifesto as binding document to make the
decision although I think that it makes sense to use the Manifesto for
guidance. I don't believe that there should be a hard "You are in./You are
out." rule.

In any case, I fully trust the GSoC team to make the decision that's in the
best interest of KDE, for each non-KDE project individually.

Regards,
Ingo