[kde-community] Should we allow non-KDE projects to participate in GSoC under KDE?

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Fri Feb 5 14:42:39 GMT 2016

Just a small disclaimer - the following answer has nothing to do with
our great GSoC admins and mentors. They do tedious and valuable work.

> So here's a novel idea: how about we let the GSoC team do what they
> are good at and come up with their own policies and decisions in
> GSoC-related matters?

Essentially, whenever one wants to ask something on kde-community, one
should not, because it is already answered in the team that does the
work related to that question?

The easiest position in a discussion is to construe someone's opinion
as an attack on someone else, to shut up that person. If anybody
understood my comments as attacks, I apologize.

If somebody asks for opinion on something on kde-community, it is most
likely to gather opinions from the wider kde community, not the
specialized XYZ group.

When our great KDE Free Qt Foundation people asked about Qt licensing
change, and out opinions on it, were our answers 'micro-management'?
No, that is one team being transparent and asking for validation from
the community.

Yes, most of kde-community members are not intimately familiar with
GSoC administration and mentorship process. That does not mean their
positions on different things is not relevant.

Sorry for the rant.
Ivan