[kde-community] Should we allow non-KDE projects to participate in GSoC under KDE?

Teo Mrnjavac teo at kde.org
Fri Feb 5 13:42:50 GMT 2016

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 11:53:48 AM CET Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > Just FTR, we don't give away our own slots, but we ask for slots after
> > we decide how many projects we are going to select.
>
> And with that I'm completely fine.

I just found myself physically shaking my head at some of the more
authoritarian-bent emails in this thread.

In KDE we have a GSoC team that's been taking care of GSoC and other student
programs for years now, and these people are intimately familiar with GSoC
dynamics on slot allocation and are thoroughly aware of the costs and benefits
of allowing external projects to take part in GSoC under the KDE umbrella.

It would be toxic to try to micromanage the Krita team, the sysadmin team or
the WikiToLearn team: KDE has historically worked best when those who do the
work decide how it's done.

So here's a novel idea: how about we let the GSoC team do what they are good
at and come up with their own policies and decisions in GSoC-related matters?
At best, any concerns should be brought up with them on the relevant mailing
list, rather than appointing ourselves as overseers in this thread.

Teo Mrnjavac
http://teom.org | teo at kde.org