[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - an alternative draft for discussion

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 10:17:27 GMT 2016

On donderdag 4 februari 2016 07:45:54 CET Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:05:20 PM CET Alexander Neundorf
wrote:
> > We are happy to get comments or any other feedback on this draft, and
we
> > are looking forward to a lively and constructive discussion about the
> > future of KDE.
>
> I'm sorry to say, but I don't see any vision in your document. What is the
> essence I should grasp from reading that document? The one thing which
the
> community can combine and rally behind it? What I see instead are various
> goals/missions which I think would be covered by the vision draft shared by
> Lydia.
>
> So can I have a TLDR of your vision statement?

==================
KDE is an end-user focused, openly governed community of free software
enthusiasts that strives to provide graphical user interfaces and applications
for end-users for all types of computers across the device spectrum: desktops
PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc.

We believe that software should be free and respectful of the privacy of our
users. Our values are stated in the KDE Manifesto.
===================

That seems a decent TLDR. In bullet points:
* end user focus
* open government
* FOSS
* GUI applications for device spectrum
* privacy

This would put focus on developing Plasma, the various Applications and the
Frameworks. Things like ownCloud, WikiFM, OCS or Kolab are relevant as far
as desktop/application integration is concerned, but not core part of the KDE
mission.

Note that I'm not arguing for or against this, just trying to answer your
question.

--
Disclaimer:
find me on blog.jospoortvliet.com