[kde-community] RFC: Distribution outreach program

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Fri Jan 29 16:44:49 GMT 2016

Il Fri, 29 Jan 2016 17:06:14 +0100, Thomas Pfeiffer ha scritto:

> I believe that we can improve the situation by intensifying our
> cooperation with distributions even further. On the other hand, however,
> distributions also have to do their part in order to make our software

Some distros already do this (Kubuntu, openSUSE). I've been wearing two
hats (KDE and openSUSE) for a while exactly for this purpose: keep
upstream-downstream relationships optimal.

>  - How fast do they have to deliver our newest major as well as minor
>  releases - Which version of our dependencies they should ship with each

If we value just speed, this is kind of problematic by itself:

- Some distros (Arch) are faster than others in pushing out updates by
virtue of their model
- Some distros will *not* be able to update due to policies (Debian)
- Some distros will update but they won't be "fast" due to internal QA
processes (e.g. openSUSE with openQA, but possibly others)

>  - With which options they should compile and package our software -

Most of them use all or almost all optional features.

[...]
> What do you think?

I would rather keep the badges but not do "special mentions" or something.
Some distros may be very willing to improve their KDE software experience,
but not able to do so due to policies.

That said, I hope I don't sound too negative. I think it's a great idea
and should be definitely pushed forward.