[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github in the light of the KDE manifesto

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Mon Sep 28 13:14:33 BST 2015

On September 25, 2015 01:16:46 PM Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 25 September 2015 at 13:15, Riccardo Iaconelli <riccardo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday, September 24, 2015 07:35:41 PM Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> >> I really do not want the excellent parts of this impassioned
> >> discussion to get lost! We've wondered about it before, and perhaps it
> >> is time to look at this issue again.
> >
> > A web ui?
> > I think that more and more github should be our real competitor, we should
> > strive for the same user-friendliness... :-)
> >
> > A crazy idea: why don't we unite our weight with the one of sister free
> > software projects (GNOME, Wikimedia, ...)  to create a free ecosystem
> > (with
> > personal repos and organization, exactly like github) where free projects
> > can be hosted, develop and flourish?
> >
> > If we all decide to host our code on the same resources, we can make this
> > work! With our developer weight visibility is guaranteed! United we
> > stand...
> e.g. Gitlab?
Or Phabricator, since we as a community have choosen it?  Whatever we choose,
we can always improve to make it better anyways.

Though I think if we are going to move in this direction, the CI behind it
needs to be more flexible, like Travis CI I'm thinking (used by many Github
projects, but is Github specific).  Our current CI is wonderful for our uses,
just thinking for this grand unified plan.
--
Matthew