[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github in the light of the KDE manifesto

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Sep 26 20:25:49 BST 2015

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> El Divendres, 25 de setembre de 2015, a les 13:16:46, Jaroslaw Staniek va
> escriure:
>> >
>> > A web ui?
>> > I think that more and more github should be our real competitor, we should
>> > strive for the same user-friendliness... :-)
>> >
>> > A crazy idea: why don't we unite our weight with the one of sister free
>> > software projects (GNOME, Wikimedia, ...)  to create a free ecosystem
>> > (with
>> > personal repos and organization, exactly like github) where free projects
>> > can be hosted, develop and flourish?
>> >
>> > If we all decide to host our code on the same resources, we can make this
>> > work! With our developer weight visibility is guaranteed! United we
>> > stand...
>> e.g. Gitlab?
>
> AFAIR last time we tried gitlab it crawled under "KDE size" scenario, so
> unless it has improved it would not work with KDE + more stuff.

Gitlab itself crawled due to the way it handled groups - it simply
wasn't designed to handle a single group containing KDE's ~2000
developers. It also had some fundamental issues with how repositories
got moved around - so if a repository was moved from a user's personal
namespace to the shared KDE namespace, every single KDE developer
would get spammed about this.

Sysadmin also had some concerns regarding the integrity of the
codebase (which was what really killed it).

> Cheers,
>   Albert

Regards,
Ben