[kde-community] Have repo maintainers opt-in for github mirroring (was: Re: Official KDE mirror on github)

Rajeev Bhatta techie.rajeev at yahoo.in
Mon Sep 21 05:54:45 BST 2015

Hi David,

Nice idea to have a wiki page explaining the process. I was going through the text and have some suggestions for some of the text on the wiki page.

"GitHubMirror
KDE is managing a mirror of projects.kde.org on Github.

We want to make KDE sources easy to find, share and build upon; and most importantly we want your contributions to count towards your github profile :)"

GitHub Mirror
"GitHub is a Web-based Git repository hosting service, which offers all of the distributed revision control and source code management (SCM) functionality of Git as well as adding its own features. Unlike Git, which is strictly a command-line tool, GitHub provides a Web-based graphical interface and desktop as well as mobile integration. It also provides access control and several collaboration features such as bug tracking, feature requests, task management, and wikis for every project." ( source. wikipedia ). Github, altough proprietary is very popular among different communties and developers.

We want to make KDE easily available to all so that it is easy to find, share and build upon. Therefore KDE is managing a mirror of all its projects, whose main location is projects.kde.org, on Github at https://github.com/kde .

The contributions to the KDE project will also count towards your Github profile :).

Please let me know if you have any questions/suggestions.

Thanks

--
Rajeev Bhatta <techie.rajeev at yahoo.in>