[kde-community] "Fork Me" button within the kde git infrastructure?

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Mon Sep 21 00:27:55 BST 2015

On Mon, September 21, 2015 00:05:33 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> PS: Freedom of forking - derivative works is not so terrible, it's a
> pilliar of FOSS.

Last time I tried it, running git-clone against our KDE git infrastructure
still worked just fine, and thus forking is quite easy to do. Did this change
at some point?

I haven't tried running Github's git import tool since it requires an account,
but even their instructions for manually mirroring a git repo (for use with
private repos) seem easy enough: https://help.github.com/articles/importing-a-git-repository-using-the-command-line/

Likewise for Bitbucket: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/import-code-from-an-existing-project-259358821.html#Importcodefromanexistingproject-PushingaGitproject

No one is arguing to *try* to make it more difficult to fork KDE or create
derivative works... the "Trinity Desktop Environment" is still up and kicking,
and others could be too with barely any work at all to setup the initial
fork...

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne