[kde-community] Renaming KScreenGenie

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 21:18:14 BST 2015

On Saturday 19 September 2015 00:17:00 Boudhayan Gupta wrote:
> When I first thought of Selfie, I thought of the following:
>
> * It makes perfect sense (screen taking a self portrait).
> * While most other applications and projects take an "appropriate" and
> subdued approach to naming their apps, this would be very "with the
> times" and culture-appropriate, at this point.
> * A fresh jolt from the dreary and monotonous world of coding?
>
> While it is a bit late now (the repository rename was done yesterday),
> I'm still in love with the word Selfie (for the above reasons and
> more). I'm heavily considering requesting another rename to Selfie.

"There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation
and naming things."

-- Phil Karlton

> Are there any strong objections?

My only objection is against the process of name finding.

Boudhayan, please choose whatever name you like the most and go with it.
Please stop asking other people for objections because you will never
reach unanimous assent (not only in KDE, but in any community larger
than 1). It's good manner to ask people for their opinion (which you did
with the first message in this thread), but once everybody had a chance
to make himself heard, you, the thingy's maintainer, have to take the
decision (and stick with it).

It seems, that you like Selfie the most. So, I suggest that you run with
it and stop this thread that's getting sillier and sillier by the
minute. ;-)

Regards,
Ingo