[kde-community] Bikeshedding - our strength apparently *sigh*

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 20:21:56 BST 2015

On 09/19/2015 09:13 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Could you mention at least one KDE git repo that belongs to multiple
> projects? And thus maybe multiple even multiple groups of maintainers?

I have previously in the thread: Different subfolders in
plasma-desktop.git have different maintainers, and it's
not possible to toggle GitHub based on the preferences of
each individual maintainer or group of maintainers.

Which pushes this discussion simply one level down into
the 'plasma-desktop.git community', which just like the
git.kde.org community is comprised of separate projects
and stakeholders.

To wit:

* The social topology of our community doesn't match our
  repository structure, and I don't think we should tie
  one to the other because they stem from different
  needs.

* The idea of "common ownership" means we try to optimize
  kde.org specifically toward individual contributors not
  being silo'd into particular subcommunities but moving
  freely about, and trying not to insert barriers that
  make this harder or less likely. It's true that we want
  to allow subcommunities freedom over their ways of work-
  ing, and I'm not suggesting we don't. I am however
  suggesting that doing code review on GitHub for some
  projects and not others will in practice constitute such
  a barrier.

Cheers,
Eike