[kde-community] Bikeshedding - our strength apparently *sigh*

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 20:08:27 BST 2015

On 09/19/2015 08:58 PM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Even using a review tool in the first place is something that the maintainer
> asks people to do.

No. We advertise ReviewBoard (and later Phab) as a general
interface to throw code at our maintainers. "I don't look
at ReviewBoard" is not a socially tenable position in our
community in practice, just like "I don't look at GitHub"
won't be*. The pressure will be to cover all places. Some
people will say they don't want to or can't and abandon
one for the other, and we'll have conflict over it and it
will affect who develops for KDE and who maintains our
products.

If your (generic you) position is that people should be
comfortable with GitHub and a KDE with only people who
are comfortable with GitHub would be a better KDE, then
you don't feel that is much of an issue, and that's more
or less what some of the people in the discussion propose,
unless they trick themselves into ideas like opt-in
or two-stage review actually being viable in a general
fashion.

* = I've explained elsewhere why making GitHub opt-in
  won't work, but in a nutshell: Repositories don't map
  to projects; GitHub will spread over time across repo-
  sitories because it's hard to opt out again; common
  ownership implicitly means there are no "project X"
  devs but only KDE devs, or rather that's what we would
  like to see and optimize for, so GitHub for any repo
  affects all devs.

Cheers,
Eike