[kde-community] Write our own pull request bot?

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 19:14:09 BST 2015

On 09/19/2015 08:05 PM, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Patch from 2012 with open questions/issues from a newcomer(?), left
> unattended. Having the same on Phabricator with the source being github
> would be no different, would it? And there _will_ be patches left to rot
> on Phabricator anyway, just like hundreds of them right now on Reviewboard.

All true, but Sune's concern was also the scenario where he
actually responds instead of letting it rot, but can't get
in touch with the requestee because the conversion to Phab
doesn't happen. That doesn't happen with email/IRC because
you reply on the medium that the requestee implicitly agreed
to using, and is a new kind of problem vs. review rot in
that it created frustration on two sides instead of one.

Making the bot post Phab traffic back to GitHub is a
fix to the notification problem, but doesn't help with
getting the requestee to participate unless you make a
full bridge. And if you make a full bridge, you run into
problems with things like converting markup or generally
limiting both review sites to the subset of shared
functionality. And then we just locked Phabricator into
only using functionality supported by a proprietary tool
we can't change, which means we strapped ourselves to the
non-free tool after all.

Cheers,
Eike