[kde-community] What is a GitHub pull request exactly?

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 18:01:14 BST 2015

On 09/19/2015 06:53 PM, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> On Saturday, September 19, 2015 06:44:24 PM Martin Graesslin wrote:
>> No reality would be that it slowly moves code review from KDE to github. And
>> I  think we have here quite some people in the discussion who would love to
>> see that
>
> I don't think anyone ever thought that... o.o

No, I think the stance is more 'I wouldn't mind that if it
gets us more hands and I don't think it will make our soft-
ware less free or less useful'.

The people on the other side of the argument either don't
want to work with proprietary tools period, or think two
review sites are too many and we obviously can't give up
the free one, or think the long-term cost to KDE's credi-
bility is too high, or think it would alter the developer
community's demographics over time to where some of the
core values get lost, or have concerns about tooling
availability and data lock-in, or have concerns about
shrinking KDE's scope by outsourcing infrastructure
competence over time.

Both positions are non-trivial and difficult to bridge.

Cheers,
Eike