[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Sat Sep 19 17:57:32 BST 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 4:15 PM, Eike Hein <hein at kde.org> wrote:

> On 09/19/2015 04:04 PM, Vishesh Handa wrote:
>> This is the part of your email I really like. Though this is not what
>> you meant: If projectX choose to also use Github, it is not affecting
>> your project in anyway. Just ignore it and move on.
>
> You keep reiterating this, but it's simply not true:
>
> * Disagreement on whether to use GitHub or not can extend
>   into the sub-community around a given project and cause
>   strife there.

Just as can any other issues such as using any other proprietary service.

> * Some of our project sub-communities have many maintainers
>   for smaller sub-projects that comprise the larger project,
>   and these sub-projects need to collaborate for consistency.
>
>   The topology of 'project' is not a match to our repository
>   topology, which is incidental and an implementation detail.
>   It's not possible to cleanly turn GitHub on or off along
>   the - ever-shifting - social boundaries involved.

I don't follow. And reviewboard will still be the primary source.

If we ship a bot we can enable and disable it however we want.

> * Different per-project tooling definitely creates pressures
>   on projects to provide the same tooling as other projects.
>   We've got practical experiences with this from our trial
>   runs with gerrit and Phabricator.

And we can be sensible and see what pressures we're going to
accommodate with and which we arent'. Not really an issue.

> * 'Common ownership' in the Manifesto is a core value that
>   e.g. begats shared workflows like our shared developer
>   account application process and our shared repository
>   access model. This stuff is important. It's hard to main-
>   tain the idea of common ownership if we create barriers
>   for people moving within the project by fragmenting our
>   core workflows.

Your core workflow is NOT fragmented if github is an addition which is
not recommended.

>   If someone doesn't want to work with Git-
>   Hub they're barred from stepping up and maintaining
>   project X that's using GitHub by a previous maintainer's
>   decision, unless they do the work to reverse that decision,
>   which can get us back to the first bullet.

Just as if someone project is shipping Windows binaries, one cannot
step up and maintain that project. Big deal! There are always
differences.

For maintaining KDE Connect you'll have to start using Google's
services and publish it on Google Play.

--
Vishesh Handa