[kde-community] Bikeshedding - our strength apparently *sigh*

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 16:46:07 BST 2015

On Saturday, 2015-09-19, 17:36:09, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Saturday, September 19, 2015 5:19:16 PM CEST Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:

> > I think there was some confusion on that point, so let me state this
> > again:
> > the agreement is that github mirrors ARE going to be kept read-only, so
> > someone with a KDE account and the developer karma still has to push the
> > patch to git.kde.org (or reviewboard or so on...), if he wants to see it
> > integrated. I don't see how that destroys our values. I just see it as a
> > way through which potential newcomers can submit their first contribution,
> > instead of mailing a patch.
> >
> > At least, in my view, the mirrors will STILL be *READ-ONLY*.
>
> I disagree. What I write now I mean for anything hosted under KDE/* and not
> e.g. mgraesslin/*
>
> If we have some projects accepting pull requests it creates pressure for
> other projects to also accept pull requests. This means my identity.kde.org
> account is no longer enough to maintain a KDE project.

This is the concern I understand.
Some projects accepting such requests (whatever that means, still unclear on
that) could easily create the expectation that all projects do.

> Pullrequests in the github are more than a way to submit a patch. It's also
> code review. At the point where this would happen, part of the community is
> excluded from participating in the code review process. Even more part of
> our code actually moves to github. Previous versions of the patch are then
> only available through github infrastructure.

I am not quite sure I understand this concern.
The patch would still go through review at KDE. Even with no github at all a
patch could have been through several revisions before being submitted.
The review always deals with the "final" submission (obviously not final if
things need to be changed).

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring