[kde-community] Bikeshedding - our strength apparently *sigh*

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 16:19:16 BST 2015

On Saturday, September 19, 2015 10:58:09 AM Michael Pyne wrote:
> Is anyone actually arguing this point in the way you ask? No one's asking
> to  prevent "one offs" entirely, the core of the issue is that KDE
> development should happen *within* KDE-the-whole-community, not *apart
> from* KDE.

Nobody is proposing to move there the development! And pull requests are
really "one offs", no stable contributor would sensibly use them as a regular
basis, just like no stable contributor doesn't get an account and develops
only through mailing patches...

This whole thread started with one sentence which started like "if somebody
sends me a patch, it doesn't matter if she/he sends it to me via mail, github,
or by post... if it's good work, I am going to integrate it". I think we
should keep to that and not escalate it to "some KDE projects move to github
for development".

I think there was some confusion on that point, so let me state this again:
the agreement is that github mirrors ARE going to be kept read-only, so
someone with a KDE account and the developer karma still has to push the patch
to git.kde.org (or reviewboard or so on...), if he wants to see it integrated.
I don't see how that destroys our values. I just see it as a way through which
potential newcomers can submit their first contribution, instead of mailing a
patch.

At least, in my view, the mirrors will STILL be *READ-ONLY*.

Bye,
-Riccardo