[kde-community] Have repo maintainers opt-in for github mirroring

Teo Mrnjavac teo at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 15:47:37 BST 2015

On Saturday, September 19, 2015 16:25:13 Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Teo Mrnjavac ha scritto:
> > It is also a fact that KDE is an aging community, and in its future I
> > expect a slow decline unless we find a way to bring in a steady influx of
> > new contributors. Recruiting a new generation of hackers is something
> > that's just not happening fast enough at this point (our yearly GSoC
> > stats are an indication of that). GitHub could be a very powerful
> > instrument in turning this trend around by tapping into a huge talent
> > pool and pushing people towards our own infrastructure while still
> > allowing them to get started through an environment they already know.
>
> I disagree on this point. Other non-aging projects are staying successfully
> away from Github.

KDE can indeed be a non-aging project without GitHub, I never meant to imply
otherwise. This is not an all or nothing situation. I'm in favor of improving
recruiting through other channels as well.

But I believe a GitHub mirror with the option of pull requests can contribute
to growth, and I'm in favor of using it for this reason.

--
Teo Mrnjavac
http://teom.org | teo at kde.org