[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 15:00:24 BST 2015

On Saturday, 2015-09-19, 12:33:55, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> >> No I'm not.
> >>
> >> Boud, you're shipping Krita on Windows. You're uploading them on the
> >> KDE official website, you're thereby making me pay for Windows if I
> >> want to test it and contribute to the project, you are making
> >> decisions for others.
> >>
> >> Does this argument really hold?
> >
> > I must admit that you have a valid point in there with Windows being a
> > bit different.
> >
> > On the other hand, Windows plays a significant role in the world for end
> > users.
> For frameworks, then end users are developers. Github plays a
> significant role in that world.

For frameworks there is a strict review policy, so even if a contributor would
pull a patch submitted via github, it would still go through KDE's review
process.

As far as KDE's contributors are concerned, the patch originates at the
developer who takes the external patch and uploads it for review.
That person has "taken ownership" and has to address all comments that come up
during review.

My understanding is that this also is what Jaroslaw suggested.

It is not a separate workflow, it is a different entry point into the
workflow, the patch is submitted for review via a proxy.

The proxy person takes the responsibility that the project's workflow is
followed.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring