[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Loïc Grobol loic.grobol at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 14:10:37 BST 2015

Just leaving that here, though borderline off-topic and I am not
really qualified,

If the issue is the (granted, a bit outdated)
Bugzilla/Reviewboard/Quickgit toolset not being user-friendly enough,
why not have a look at the libre github clone GitLab instead? That
could be hosted on KDE servers and provide the same services as
GitHub.

On 19 September 2015 at 13:55, Vishesh Handa <me at vhanda.in> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de> wrote:
>>> Testing and QA are important parts of creating a product. They most
>>> certainly are part of the "development process". Providing a Windows
>>> version of Krita does force me to install these tools if I wish to
>>> contribute to that part of Krita.
>>
>> Vishesh, please: If you *wish* to contribute to that part of Krita, how can
>> you be *forced* to use Windows?
>>
>> If you are not interesting in the Windows version, you just ignore it.
>>

> Lets use the analogy of KRita and Windows Binaries being one part of
> it. Your statement implies that if I'm not interested in Windows, I
> can ignore that part of Krita. (Even though statistically Windows has
> a greater market share than Linux + OSX combined)
>
> Similarly, ProjectX in one part of KDE. If you're not interested in
> contributing to a project which also supports a proprietary platform
> (but does not recommend it), then you can ignore it.
>
>> I see only one kind of pressure that comes from a Windows version of Krita and
>> that is some pressure to provide for portability. From a development point of
>> view I see this as an advantage. It can even prevent platform lock-in.
>>
>> Well okay, I know get your argument: If a user reports a bug on Windows, one
>> can feel pressured to do something about it. Similar like with an issue
>> provided on github.com. That said, I likely won´t feel pressured. Cause if
>> there is a Windows team for Krita, I expect this team to handle Windows
>> specific bug reports and likely would ignore them otherwise.
>>

> And the maintainer of ProjectX would be part of this *github* team and
> you can expect them to handle those specific bug reports / pull
> requests.
>
> For Baloo, I've explicitly disabled it for Windows and OSX. I have the
> ability to chose my platforms as a KDE project. Similarly, the
> argument can be made that Github can be just another platform which
> projects can choose to be part of.
>
>> But still… there is *some* comparability. Yet, I still providing a Windows
>> version of Krita is not the same as (partly) allowing pull requests on
>> Github.com. I do  not have words for it at the moment, but I feel lot more
>> reluctance about the latter than the former.
>

> --
> Vishesh Handa

Loïc Grobol.