[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 10:28:52 BST 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Vishesh Handa <me at vhanda.in> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Friday 18 September 2015 23:28:37 Vishesh Handa wrote:
>>> In general, I'm quite alarmed by how people are advocating their
>>> principles for ALL kde projects without any scope for negotiations for
>>> different projects. I fear that this will just drive people/projects
>>> away from KDE.
>>
>> from this thread, seems to me that strarting to rely on github will drive
>> people away from KDE too, for sure several participants of this thread
>
> So if project X which is part of KDE also relies on GitHub, but in no
> way recommends it, that will alienate people?

Perhaps I am reading this thread wrong, but it seems that it would
alienate some people, yes.

I will not say that "me included" as I really do not have the rights
to claim so. I have not done much KDE contribution lately, but if I
were thinking of doing that again, this would be a negative point for
me. It would not be major, but still.

By the way, exceptions made for github might have more unforeseeable
consequences than you may now think. It can easily go beyond the scope
of github within the KDE infrastructure. What if people start asking
for exceptions in other areas, too, referring to the github
exceptions?