[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 01:22:44 BST 2015

On Friday, September 18, 2015 11:43:34 PM Vishesh Handa wrote:
> It depends on our end goal: creating free software or creating free
> software with only free tools? If it is the latter then I fear we have
> already failed since many of us use additional tools to aid
> development which are not free.

I couldn't say it better!

Bitkeeper was not free, when support ended, git was made! Some video drivers
were not free, but we continued to use them, until better alternatives
emerged. Sourceforge was not free, yet many KDE projects used it.

...heck, even Qt was not free, back in the days!

I wouldn't rely entirely on a non-free platform, but I wouldn't miss the
opportunity to market projects who wish so to a larger developer base. It is
important for our coummunity to share and communicate our open values, and
that usually means with people who are not yet convinced. :-)

Bye,
-Riccardo